This is a space for members of the OSW community to share their transforms, patches and sounds. If you would like to contribute something, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We also recommend that you join the OSW community if you wish to become an active contributor.
OSW Facts about Puffer Fish
Some of our Favorite Facts about Pufferfish
- Fugu (pufferfish) is a fish which contains deadly poison in its organs.
Despite the risk of poisoning, fugu dishes are special feasts in Japan. Even the
milt is considered a great delicacy.
- It's said that the most poisonous fugu,
"Tora-fugu", is the most delicious.
- Mitsugora Bando VIII, a famous Kabuki actor and Japanese national treasure, died from eating fugu in 1975.
- The kanji (Chinese characters) used to write fugu indicates "river pig."
- Fugu is also consumed as an aphrodisiac, made by mixing a teaspoonful of its testes with hot sake.
- A puffer fish's toxin is 1250 times deadlier than cyanide.
- One Japanese cook describes death by fugu poisoning as follows: "It's a terrible death. Although you can think clearly, you cannot speak or move and soon cannot breathe."
- In western Japan, fugu is called "fuku", which means "to blow" or "happiness".
- Ancient Egyptians used one species of puffer fish as a ball in an primitive game of bowls.
- Pufferfish have smaller sized genomes compared to other vertebrates. As a result their genomes can be used as "mini" models for vertebrates.
- The puffer fish genomes have a higher proportion of genes and a lower proportion of "junk DNA" than most other vertebrates.
Vst adapter for OSW
The Vst transform allows users to run most Vst
effect and instrument plug-ins in OSW. Currently only available for
Patches for OSW
- SpinOSC demo
- An OSW patch that generates sounds in response to OpenSound Control messages from SpinOSC. This patch demonstrates both the ability of OSW to work external control programs, and benefits of using OSW's namespace to build OpenSound Control servers.